Thursday, January 31, 2013

Z is for zigzag

LifLG says: 
zigzag (ZIG-zag) verb
cutting across from side to side. If you need to waste a few hours, you could measure the zigzaggedness of the zippers on all your pants.

Today I had to attend an all-day meeting at my school district's central services office. Being a wee bit late and rather familiar with the setting, I carefully slipped in the door that I knew would put me in at the back end of the meeting room. After standing just inside, scanning the room, for a few minutes I realized that my team was, of course, sitting at the very front. Someone near me suggested I go back out and re-enter through the front entrance. The room was full, crowded with tables that were probably arranged in an organized fashion until the many people had settled in for the day, and extension cords and power strips criss-crossed the floors to allow for laptop usage. I was carrying my computer bag, my lunch box, a personal bag, and a glass of ice water, but there was no way I was going to walk out and come back in before all of those watchful eyes. Instead, I meticulously zigzagged among my colleagues, gracefully avoiding bumps and trips, and eased myself into a spot at the back of my group. Flawless.

No comments:

Post a Comment