LifLG says:
flummox (FLUM-uks) verb
to confuse. Instead of saying, "I'm confused" or "Beats me," spice things up with "It's sure got me flummoxed!"
I am an ESL teacher, which, in my current job, translates to spending a lot of time offering support to my middle school students in the core subject areas (language arts, mathematics, sciences, and social studies). I spent a great deal of my college career studying in the areas of language and social studies; I even managed to spend 16 hours in science courses. Math, however, has never been my forte; in high school I took the minimum required credits, and in college I was the only person I know who slipped through with no College Algebra class. When my students bring math homework to my room with questions I usually have to spend some time studying the assignment before I say anything. Occasionally, I even pull out a text book for further research. There are times, unfortunately, when I am totally flummoxed and have to call in a math-teaching colleague for help. No sore ego here, I have long accepted my weakness and openly admit to my students that math is not a subject I enjoy. All that said, I make it clear that I never failed a math class because regardless of my feelings or how much it might flummox me, I never quit trying!
No comments:
Post a Comment