Thursday, January 17, 2013

I is for indubitably

LifLG says: 
indubitably (in-DOO-bih-tuh-blee) adverb
definitely, without a doubt, no question about it. And how!

It's kind of amazing how much one learns when one must teach. The need to explain a concept to someone else implies the need to throughly understand all aspects of that concept. After years of English Language Arts classes there were still many distinctions in grammar that I could recognize but not rationalize. Good vs. well, for example, led me to the entire adjective-adverb discussion. As I prepared to teach rules such as this one I would search for as many books, materials, and examples as I could find or create to help my students digest these things. I wanted them to understand how to differentiate among various parts of speech, when to use certain spellings and endings, and all of the other things that I had just learned the "how to do" without understanding the "why". I wanted them to "get it" instead of just "getting through it". One of my favorite resources was an oldie (but goodie): School House Rock. It amazed me how much my class of sixth-grade students loved the videos, especially the adverb ditty: Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here! They indubitably loved singing along with the up-tempo little song that details the functions and rules of adverbs and gives numerous examples of them, but they never seemed to be able to tell me anything about adverbs afterwards. I realized being able to circle adverbs on a sheet or sort them from a list of adjectives was many steps away from being able to explain what an adverb is and what it does, and I knew that I'd have to keep trying to get my students to that pinnacle of grammar mastery. Indubitably!

No comments:

Post a Comment