LifLG says:
gallivant (GAL-ih-vant) verb
to travel around for pleasure; usually used in a negative way to accuse someone of being irresponsible, as in "While you were out gallivanting, I was stuck here building this tandem bicycle by myself!"
The summer after my freshman year of college I worked on staff at Gulfshore Baptist Assembly in Pass Christian, MS. My crew was food services (Caf Staff, we called ourselves), and we alternated days with another crew because our days on we had to be the first ones working and the last ones off. Those days off embodied summer; we spent them sleeping in and napping, lounging in front of old movies, playing in the pool, and gallivanting around the MS Gulf Coast--and sometimes beyond. We would go shopping, exploring or just driving, windows down, along Highway 90 with its endless Gulf view (or so it seemed). We would suddenly be overcome with the urge to visit a friend in Mobile or eat dinner in Louisiana, and off we would go! I didn't save any money that summer though my expenses were few. I gained weight (from overeating and an excess of junk food) although there were plenty of ways to stay active. I made friends and kissed boys and played in the rain and ran barefoot on the beach in the night. It was a carefree summer, and I enjoyed every ounce of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment