Sunday, January 20, 2013

L is for lollygag

LifLG says: 
lollygag (LOL-ee-gag) verb
No, this doesn't have anything to do with choking on a lollipop. It means to dawdle, waste time, lag behind, and generally slow things down, basically the opposite of lickety-split. 

Lolly gagging is something I have often been accused of doing. Assuredly, I frequently bring up the rear of a group. However, this is never without reason; I'm just a smell-the-roses kind of girl. Last one of the Empire State Building Observation deck? I was just listening to the audio tour in its entirety. Late getting back from the book store? I was perusing the bargain tables. You had to wait for me after the movie? I was reading the credits.
Wish I hadn't taken so long to get where you wanted me to be? Maybe I was lolly gagging, but most of the time there was a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment